Tuesday, March 29, 2011

fashions in Brisbane

For those of you who know me well, you know that I'm no slave to fashion.  If it weren't for my wife, I may still be wearing clothes from the 1980's and sporting a mullet.  That being said, you may wonder why I'm about to poke fun at the Aussies and their style of dress.  This trip has transported me back to the '80's where stiletto heels and fishnet stockings were prevalent.  Certainly not a sight hard on the eyes (sorry, sweetheart).  But, the men are stuck on the fashions of the '80's also.  The younger men wear t-shirts with loud colors (think of the Houston Astro's uniforms during the 80's and multiply by ten), bell-bottoms (if you're too young to know, I can't explain it), and shoes/boots that surround the foot and meet at a point several inches in front of the toes.  Men in all age groups wear too much aftershave (do they sell Hi Karate here?) and the businessmen wear ridiculously wide ties with color patterns that could make an epileptic have a seizure.  Women dress very provocatively here--they are not afraid to show cleavage and most can be seen on the weekends wearing the Daisy Duke jean shorts. 

The younger people of both sexes have multiple piercings in the face and multiple visible tattoos.  There are some crazy hair styles here--I saw a young man that had his hair cut to resemble the mane of a lion.  It's not as if I don't see some of this in the States--it just seems to be more frequent here.

That's all for now.  Just a few more days and I'll be homeward bound.

No comments:

Post a Comment