Saturday, February 26, 2011

weekend

I've been in Mudgee for about a day and a half and have yet to visit the jobsite.  Mudgee is a small town about 150 kilometers west northwest of Sydney.  I left Brisbane on a flight to Sydney at 5:00 AM yesterday, but the more interesting flight was the one from Sydney to Mudgee, New South Wales.  I walked across the tarmac to board the plane and to give you an idea of how small the plane was, the mobile stair to the seats was only four or five risers.  There were a total of 18 seats on the plane and its motive power was twin propeller engines.  I think it only needed about 50 feet of runway to get airborne, but thankfully, the skies were clear and it turned into a very enjoyable flight.

The reason I haven't visited the jobsite yet is that the saftey constrictions here are more stringent than anywhere in the USA, and I'm required to have training for a "14 day induction" prior to being allowed on site and, even then, I won't be allowed to walk the site without a chaperone.  There isn't much more to tell. 

There is much more to do in Brisbane than here.  I'm told that Brisbane is the third most populated city in Australia and there are many things to do there within walking distance.  There is nothing within walking distance in Mudgee and although I haven't been to the jobsite, I'm told it's about an hour drive from Mudgee (in which direct I don't know).

I'm signing off for now and will post again if anything interesting happens.  I'm scheduled on a return flight to Brisbane on Friday, but the construction manager here is all ready making phone calls to keep me on for an additional week.

So long for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment